Friday 17 September 2010

More Ginger, With a Sprinkling of Princess.

Before I post my ginger biscuit recipe I'd like to take a moment to plug my latest cosplay. :D

I've been working on my Ariel for a while and it's finally done!





















This is a picture with my friend Kerhys who is doing Snow White with me at October expo.

Understandably we're both pretty excited. :D I love how our outfits are looking. Ariel was my favourite princess as a child and I'm really pleased I've done her dress.

Anyway, on to the biscuits! But before I progress too far, allow me to say that I've had a little accident wih my camera... it's not working at the moment so I've had to take pictures on my phone instead, so I apologise for them being a little low-quality.

Ingredients:
  • 170g butter
  • 220g dark brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 60ml golden syrup
  • 300g plain flour
  • 2 tablespoons ground ginger
  • 1tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons syrup from crystillised ginger
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup until smooth.


Add the egg, making sure to beat it really well for a few minutes.


Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking powder and salt and add to the mix gradually, beating well between each addition.

Next add the stem ginger syrup and mix in well. Put the dough in the fridge and leave to chill for at least an hour, but I usually do it for more.

Once the dough has been sufficiently chilled, remove from the fridge and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 175C/Gas Mark 4. Use a spoon to make smallish balls of dough and flatten them out a little as you put them on the tray. Leave them to bake for 6-8 minutes, or until a deep amber brown.


Whenever I make biscuits I always do a test biscuit first. This is to see if the dough is ready, sometimes I find I need to add more flour if it spreads out too much, or stick it back in the fridge for a bit.

My test biscuit this time spread out rather a lot and was almost as big as my hand. My hands aren't very big, but I thought I'd show you a picture nonetheless.


Happy baking! These turned out delicious. I also added a pinch of cinnamon into mine for an extra kick, but I didn't include it in the ingredients list seeing as some people don't like cinnamon and it's not a necessary addition.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment